The video In the Age of AI was eye opening! There is so much talk about AI, both good and bad, but seeing this video mostly made me realize how dangerous it can be.
The video showed that with AI productivity in factories and many industries can be greatly improved and more efficient. And I think that’s great. But so much that is seen as good ends up at the expense of something else. There has been and will continue to be a lot of reduction of jobs in so many industries since AI robots and automation can replace humans. I was surprised to hear that a lot of the humans that have been replaced were women in jobs like cashiers, clerical and Human Resources because I would usually just think of factory workers.
Another negative is that AI is contributing to the increase in inequality. Big companies that have more money are able to invest in AI and receive the benefits of AI. I don’t think the smaller companies will be able to keep up. The huge tech companies are buying up the smaller ones and it keeps the wealth at the top companies.
AI though is positively affecting many industries like health care with the use of robots for procedures, areas of education, shopping and the criminal justice system. The use of surveillance and facial recognition systems has been helpful in fighting crime.
I use Google all the time to research so many things. But I learned that at the same time Google is searching us. We think we have privacy since we’re in our homes on our own computer or phone but we are losing control of our own privacy. The “digital exhaust” the video talked about that we leave behind from our searches is being used to predict and even change our behavior.
There are also sophisticated hackers that are able to get our information making identity theft easy. Our online information is global and we have no control where it ends up. There has been some progress with being able to reject data sharing but it’s unlikely that it’s enough.
I think it’s frightening that AI is being used in ways not originally intended and those who control it don’t always have the best intentions. Other countries have also made huge advancements in AI. But not always for improving society. The video said now it’s mostly an AI race between the US and China.
I think it’s extreme that China is on its way to becoming a total surveillance state-cameras are everywhere and can track people who may have different views from their government. Their actions are frightening and our national security is at stake. And many countries have bought China’s surveillance systems.
On the positive side our country is also using AI to help our own national security with better intelligence, satellites and weapons.
No comments:
Post a Comment